Registered: Jul 2000
Location: Beverly, MA
i've got 'em
I got a pair of the mobile pants for Christmas. Here is my mini-review:
* I like the right side hidden seam pocket a LOT. It is in the perfect place, and it is exactly the right size for my Visor Edge.
* The hidden mesh pockets inside the main pockets are nice for holding coins, cash, small flat items, and keeping things like that sorted out.
* They are good Dockers quality that I have come to know and love.
* Hidden pockets are easy to open: just yank down on the zipper tab.
* The hidden mesh pockets are useless for carrying gear (well, my gear anyway). Because of the way they 'overlap' with the main pocket, it is no different than if I was carrying two things in a single pocket. For example, say I have my cell phone in the main left pocket, and my pager in the hidden left pocket. The pager ends up sitting on top of the cell phone, even though it is technically in another pocket.
* Hidden pockets are a pain to close: I must hold the bottom of the zipper with one hand while pulling up on it with the other hand. Otherwise, just pulling up on the zipper pulls the surrounding fabric up with it, and doesn't actually zip it shut.
Conclusion: These make nice dress slacks, but I wouldn't use them for carrying my gear most of the time. Besides, I always wear jeans to work, so the only time I wear these things is to church or other special occasions. The best thing I have found so far for carrying my gear is this:
This thing carries my: cell phone, visor edge, edge connector, magellan gps module, backup module, memplug module, nikon coolpix 775, and two pagers - with some extra room left over for papers, cash, whatever. Another plus is that it can be had for less than $10 (I think it was $7 when I bought it at CompUSA).
I've taken to calling it my 'bundle of joy' ;-) though my girlfriend still insists on calling it a purse. :-P It is definitely not the thing to be carrying around on some stylish occasion. But when I go to work I couldn't care less about style, so the bundle of joy comes with me. When I dress up, it's not usually an occasion where I need to carry all my gear, so the mobile pants would probably work fine with a bare minimum of my work pager in a back pocket (it's durable), my cell phone and keys in my left pockets, my edge in the right seam pocket, and wallet in the right pocket.
Cargo pants have also worked well for me. I don't mind the external, obvious pockets, especially at work. I even have a terrific pair of nylon L.L. Bean cargo pants. One pocket is the exact HxWxD of the Edge, another pocket is the exact fit for my cell phone.